I am almost done with my 3rd week of this intense protocol. 3 antibiotics via IV (rocephin, cubicin, minocycline) 5-7 hours a day/5 days a week.
It’s been rough. The first few days of each week are pretty intense. Lots of pain, numbness, digestive trauma, muscle weakness, drowsiness, dizziness – and just a general feeling of illness. Days 4 & 5 seem to be a little less awful, not good, just not quite as bad.
The two days off are a welcomed break. Relief is small, but nice.
I don’t know how to tell if it’s helping. I see the Lyme doc on Tuesday and I am hoping the pattern I’m describing here will mean that the meds are killing the bugs. If so, we will likely continue this protocol.
If not, I am going to talk to the doctor about taking a break. I am already planning to take off next week to let my body rest a little and to enjoy some much needed family time. I don’t think I can be off antibiotics altogether yet, but maybe we cut it down to one milder one, or a strong one just 2 days a week. Whatever the decision, I am ready.
I’ve come to terms with the thought that I may not get completely better. Don’t get me wrong – I still have hope, I just don’t know when or if it’s time to come to the conclusion that I’m one who may have to live with this illness.
People live with various diseases all their lives – diabetes, heart conditions, lung conditions – there are many things people have to manage. And if that turns out to be the category I’m in, I’m ok with that.
If you are one of the amazing people praying for me, thank you, thank you, thank you. Specifically, I would ask that you pray for direction as I talk to the doctor next week. Pray for a week of energy and rest and family bonding. And pray for strength to endure whatever the next steps might be.
“The LORD is my strength and my shield; My heart trusted in Him, and I am helped; Therefore my heart greatly rejoices, And with my song I will praise Him.”
Psalm 28:7 (NKJV)